Saturday, August 3, 2013

Taking off the Training Wheels

We got a "pass" to go HOME this past weekend - and it was wonderful!  I got to see Darby riding her bike (without training wheels), got to see the chickens dogs & cat, got to breathe in some good country air and eat some fresh peas & cornbread.  I also got to hug my Momma's neck.

It was a bitter sweet trip...The world lost an amazing man this past week. Mom's brother and my beloved Uncle Willie saw his earthly life come to a close and began his new life in Sweet Beulah Land. He is high stepping, standing tall and I am sure the crowds are already lined up to hear his stories wherever he is "holding court".  He believed in working hard and playing hard. His smile was contagous. He never met a stranger. His advice was second to none and his heart was as big as Texas.  With him joining my Daddy in heaven, the allure of heaven got a whole lot sweeter.  I'll miss you Uncle Willie. 

Monday we met with Dr. Cass, the surgeon who did the Fundoplication & hernia repair before Parson's lung transplant.  A recent pH probe test showed that Par was still having significant reflux (especially when she is laying down). Dr. Mallory thinks the surgery could help with her reflux & protect her new lungs from reflux. She had an upper GI last week that looked ok and didn't show any reflux. Dr. Cass was not in a rush to repeat the surgery when weighing the risks. He was going to consult with Dr. Mallory and they would determine whether Par would benefit from a repeat of the surgery at a later date.  

Parson is doing better everyday. She finally gritted through the last of drug withdrawals and her smiles are back.  (Whew - I survived too - drug withdrawals are NO JOKE - don't ever let anyone tell you any different!). She is beginning to vocalize again, beginning to show interest in toys, sleeping better at night,  putting her feet in her mouth again, and is rolling over and putting weight on her arms.  All of those things are small steps toward catching up on some developmental milestones she missed while she was so sick. To top it all off, every tooth has a new neighbor moving in on each side -  a whole mouth full of teeth coming in at one time. She is such a good sport - I know she has felt like junk but she is such a good sport in spite of it all. A real life lesson in true grit.  

I am so thankful for better days. It sure is  fun to take off the training wheels & make a little trip home. 

Below are a few recent pics ....

Darby let Parson wear her headband...

And they were swinging...

I think she likes it...


Mmmmm tasty toes...

Look out - Darby has a really, really loose front tooth...

My new snaffle tooth...


Mule riding with Daddy is pretty fun...

Look Mom, I am on my belly! This is a really cool polka dot quilt my Gee Gee made me. 

Just love this pic of Darby - (thanks Dorothy.)









No comments:

Post a Comment