Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Count YOUR blessings.


After getting a routine check up at the doc yesterday and waking up early for lab work and my first mammogram ever today - I feel ALIVE!  

The weather has been GREAT. All of my people are healthy. Life slowed down enough for me to take care of some overdue things on the "to do" list. And Christmas music snuck in to my house yesterday on the satellite radio. :) You know, I could easily get bogged down in the fact that Parson isn't the least bit interested in eating and still deSating at night -or that Darby is struggling with spelling and reading --but none of that matters - we are ALIVE! 

Lemme tell ya friends, there is nothing like a major healthcare crisis to put things in perspective. It gets me every time when I start to count my blessings.  Whew.  Overwhelmed. TODAY is a huge blessing and just being alive is a huge blessing. I have got air coming through my nose. My heart is beating. That is HUGE!  Are you with me? 

I watched three great internet videos recently that reminded me about perspective. One is of a mother listening to her daughters heartbeat after they chose to donate her organs after a tragic accident. She heard her daughters heart beating providing new life for another woman. Whew -that was something. The other piece was about UT football player Case McCoy overcoming a childhood filled with medical issues to become a big success on the football field. (I love a good sports story - especially the ones about overcomers.) Then there was the one of a lady about to undergo a double mastectomy - but she first invited her surgical team to join her in a dance party in the operating room. She rocked that dance party and surgery. THAT is GOOD stuff. Those people are ALIVE!  

When I count my blessings,  I become completely overwhelmed.  You oughta give it a try. Here is a little secret - count YOUR blessings, not your neighbors. When you worry about others and try to count their blessings - you get all tangled up in things that don't matter and you will come up feeling empty. Don't focus on the things you don't have or things you wish you had - Count YOUR blessings. When you start to focus on what IS and what you DO have, you realize that you are ALIVE. God blessed YOU. Your heart is beating. You have purpose. You are ALIVE. 

It is all about perspective. You can worry that you HAVE to take "all those medicines" or be thankful that you GET to take "all those medicines" -- Taking the meds means that you are still ALIVE. You can worry that you HAVE to clean up the living room AGAIN because your family made a big mess or be thankful that you have a family to clean up afterSo I guess I gotta be thankful for that pink lizard that came out of the last load of laundry.  Same thing with dirty dishes, bills to pay and homework.

Deuteronomy 28:1-6
1 "And if you faithfully obey the voice of the LORD your God, being careful to do all his commandments that I command you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth.
2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, if you obey the voice of the LORD your God.
3 Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the field.
4 Blessed shall be the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your ground and the fruit of your cattle, the increase of your herds and the young of your flock.
5 Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
6 Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

"Count your many blessings name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God hath done."  ........  Your people. Your child's giggles. Your salvation. Your friends that listen.........

The dirty dishes, laundry and homework mean that you are ALIVE!!!!!!!  There is NO doubt, He has blessed you and your basket is overflowing. Let HIS blessings overtake you. 














No comments:

Post a Comment