Thursday, January 24, 2013

It's the Music in Me

You have to know - music moves me. Music speaks to me. For all moods, all times --there is a song.

Some of my greatest memories are related to a particular song. I remember a great ski trip in back in 1983 when we packed into the back seat of the blue suburban and rocked that cassette walkman (one walkman 2 headphones) all the way to and from Colorado. Kimbo, Amy Grant and I sang "Emmanuel" at the top of our lungs. Michael, Van, Troy, Superscription & The Barracuda can testify that we must have hit rewind on that walkman 1 million times. We LOVED that song! (Madonna "Lucky Star" also made a few appearances on that same trip.)

I remember the music from my wedding. I remember the song that played in the delivery room when both of my girls were born. I remember floating down the river while we were "Chillin'on a dirt road". I remember riding to the dump with my daddy listening to the Statler Brothers "Counting Flowers on the Wall" on 8 track. I remember Momma playing Kenny Rogers "Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town" on the old record player. I remember the summer I was a counselor at Sky Ranch when I played "The Carpenters Greatest Hits" all summer long. You get the idea - I could go on and on.

I knew I had good taste when I married my husband 15 years ago. He is the best DJ this side of the Angelina River. Rodney can create the best playlists that span all kinds of music, any genre, old and new. He has broadened my music horizons and introduced me to so many new artists. Recently he got a record player and the family has really enjoyed it. Darby makes a morning selection and turns on the record player to get us going in the morning. Lately she alternates between The Commodores "Greatest Hits" and the Michael Jackson "Thriller" albums. (I think she inherited the music gene as well, plus she has got some pretty good moves.)

The songs have become the anthem to my memories. The pep in my step. The blessings in my sorrow. Lately, I can't get enough of Chris Tomlin's new release "Burning Lights". Especially the song "Whom Shall I Fear". In this song he says... "I know who goes before me. I know who stands behind. The God of Angel Armies - Is always by my side." Angel Armies -- are you kidding me??? It doesn't get any better than that. The same Heavenly Father that is commanding the angels is always by MY side. When I can't find the words - they are right there in the music.

I have to admit, there is nothing deeply spiritual about "Brick House" by the Commodores, but Angel Armies - WOW! That gets my heart pumping. In Luke 4:10 scripture says "He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully". My old Pastor Ed Robinson would say "If that don't light your fire, then your wood is wet." It is overwhelming, amazing & comforting to know that nothing is going to happen to me (my kids, my family) that the Angel Army doesn't know about in advance. The God of Angel Armies is always by my side.

So take it from me... The Commodores "Greatest Hits" will do wonders to get your "Brick House" moving in the mornings, but you gotta download "Burning Lights" from Chris Tomlin to hear about the Angel Armies to keep you going the rest of the day - You will be richly blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment