Monday, May 27, 2013

Little Ones to Him Belong

 "Little ones to Him belong. They are weak but HE is strong."   I keep singing those words over and over in my head....

Parson has had a rough weekend. She is still having respiratory spells even with the large amounts of pain meds and sedation. When she gets out of sync with the ventilator, she fights and is unable to get the proper ventilation that she needs. As a result, she has become difficult to manage from a sedation and nursing standpoint.  They are having to paralyze her multiple times a day. I hate to see it, but it is encouraging to see her fight thru multiple heavy drugs.  It is like sunshine in the rain. 

The past few shifts, Parson has been assigned to "one to one" nursing where she is their only patient. I really hated to see that happen, because "one to one" is a milestone I really hoped we would not need- but it is a relief at the same time. As it is now, she is on 8 different narcotics and none seem to be providing the relief she needs because she has become so habituated to the drugs and still requires paralysis.  The critical care team has put in for a consult from the pain management team.  The weekend doc mentioned that they may recommend putting her through an intense "Betty Ford" type detox. Hopefully they can determine a workable plan that will allow Parson to be safe & comfortable.  

Little ones to Him belong, they are weak but HE is strong. 

Over the past week or so, if I am honest with myself and all you friends out there in the blogosphere, I have to admit that I have been in a real funk. Extended time in the ICU in a children's hospital begins to wear ya down after a little while.  The daily increase in narcotic meds for PDiddy is becoming a worry as well.  And to top it all off, my Clinical Strength antiperspirant/deodorant is beginning to lose it's magic. Darn it, that stuff was supposed to be 4x stronger under pressure. Guess it is time to dig deep in the ol'deodorant drawer - Maybe it is time to return to the trusty ol' "Tropical Paradise".  

Even in the midst of my funk, God has been so faithful to remind me of His goodness.  I have received countless special texts from friends, many words of encouragement, donations, hugs from family, smiles from strangers - and even a special delivery of cupcakes and an edible fruit arrangement!  You people really know how to carry your friend through the funk. 

But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.  I will sing the Lord's praise for he has been good to me. - Psalm 13:5-6 

PDiddy's Peeps at The Children's Clinic of Lufkin. 


Highlights from Darby's "selfie" photo shoot on my phone... Boy, does this kid crack me up. 




SuperGirl ...



No comments:

Post a Comment