Monday, June 10, 2013

Breathing Over the Vent

Oh Happy Day! For the first time since transplant, Parson is breathing "over" the vent. I guess she woke up and finally got the memo that she got her new lungs. Rodney & I are standing on either side of her bed watching her take deep breaths for the first time in her life. When we take our eyes off of her breathing - it is only to watch the vent display showing that she is taking spontaneous breaths on her own. Pinch me. New life & new breath is SO very powerful -- I absolutely LOVE IT!

"The Spirit of God hath made me and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." - Job 33:4

Today we made the big move out of Cardiovascular ICU back down to Pedi ICU. It was a three ring circus to transfer with 4 chest tube drains, an arterial line, a central line, an IV pole with 9 med pumps, 2 catheters, a ventilator - oh, and a baby with new lungs. (And a partridge in a pear tree) 

Baby steps. The docs discontinued dialysis because her kidneys are working great. They resumed physical therapy.  Discontinued nitric oxide. Discontinued TPN. Gave a round of IVIG - immunoglobulin and upped her feeds a teenie tiny bit. Still a great deal of work to go in the coming weeks to get her off of her intense pain/sedation medication regimen, but all in all a great day to be Parson Blue. 

Par & Dr. Heinle -lung transplant SUPER surgeon!  I love a man that can sew - (His sewing skills put mine to shame.) He knit the tiny connections back together to give her NEW life!   

Ventilator display screen shot -- The little red peaks are Parson's first baby breaths she took on her own.  Amazing!  

The PICU welcome crew getting Parson settled 

I saved the best for last.... But since I cannot post a video here on the blog --  I am going to post a video of a BIG DEEP breath on FB. The video shows a spontaneous breath - one Parson initated on her own. You just gotta see it for yourself - it is AMAZING!  

Now, take a deep breath - you will be glad you did. 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! My friend, LeiAnn Stovall posted your update on FB and I've been wondering how Parson was doing. Praying for her to continue to do well. I'm so happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete