Sunday, June 16, 2013


I know for a fact that he was called by the critical care team 4 times in one night, (when he wasn't even on call). I know for a fact that he has met us in the emergency center twice when my child was in crisis. I know for a fact that he worked 8 weeks straight without a single day off -and saw my child EVERY one of those days. I know for a fact that he answers his personal cell phone anytime I have ever called. I know for a fact that he has stood at my child's bedside and adjusted ventilator settings for hours at a time. But even beyond all of that- I know for a fact that he saved my child's life. 

Our family first met Dr. George Mallory on October 2, 2012. I will never forget the meeting that took place in PICU bed 19. Just a few days before, we had arrived at the emergency center with our 2 month old daughter, Parson, who had a cough accompanied with respiratory issues.  In those few short days, her condition worsened and the brilliant team of physicians went to work to determine the source of her problems. The team made quick work out of testing to determine that she had periventricular nodular heterotopia with a genetic mutation of filamin A. Bottom line is that her lungs did not function properly. Before the diagnosis had even sunk in, Dr. Mallory introduced himself as the head of the lung transplant program and explained that we would be spending a great deal of time together in the future. 

Boy was he right. In a very short time we quickly learned about the role of a pulmonologist, about PVNH, filamin A and without a doubt that we were in best hands possible with Dr. George Mallory.

Parson's disease progressed rather quickly and we were so very fortunate to have Dr. Mallory on the case. He quickly built a great relationship with our child's pediatrician and both worked tirelessly to answer every question and provide information about day to day care and what to do in the case of an emergent situation. 

The timeline of Parson's life from 2 months to 7 months was a very long, stressful period with many fearful moments. Dr. Mallory provided careful and confident instructions about her care. At 7 months of age, she was readmitted to PICU in respiratory failure. The Kangaroo Crew flew us from our home emergency center back to TCH. Since that time, Dr. Mallory has orchestrated every move related to her care. On June 8, 2013 he led the TCH team in performing a bilateral lung transplant for Parson. He along with surgeon, Dr. Jeffrey Heinle, and his surgical team were modern day miracle workers who allowed my daughter to breathe easy for the first time in her little life. 

Parson is now 4 months post transplant and at home for the first time since Feburary. As excited as we were to leave Houston, it seems so bitter sweet to leave a very important part of our family behind at Texas Children's. Dr. Mallory, we are so honored to have met you one year ago.  Thank you for orchestrating the precious "gift of life" for Parson Blue. I know for a fact that we consider you a special member of our family.  

Dr. Mallory,  "I thank my God in every remembrance of you." - Philippians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment