Friday, February 1, 2013

Give Blood, Eat McNuggets & Get a good Pediatrician

While sorting through some medical paperwork this morning I ran across a piece of paper that reminded me of 10/2 (the day Parson was diagnosed). It had been a grueling few days in ICU of "touch and go" situations related to her condition. We were absolutely exhausted, her levels were all out of whack and it was the day we would meet Dr. Mallory (the transplant doc).

We walked across the bridge to get a drink and I had a meltdown. It was on 10/2 that I scribbled down the 3 things written in today's blog title on the back of a piece of paper.

-Give Blood.
-Eat McNuggets.
- Get a good pediatrician.

The night before we had been selected to stay at the Ronald McDonald house so we gave up our comfy chairs in the ICU waiting room for the night. About 4.30am my phone rang and I woke up in a complete panic. It was Parson's nurse. I yanked on my clothes and was 1/2 way back to ICU when I realized what she had just said. They needed signed consent to take her to surgery for her lung biopsy later that day. I gave the surgeon my autograph and then stopped and caught my breath. Par also needed to receive platelets, so they needed my autograph for that as well.

Later that morning, in a moment of clarity, I was extremely thankful for these things: The person that donated blood/platelets for Parson. A bed and shower at the Ronald McDonald House. And Dr. George Fidone & Dr. George Mallory.

Fast forward 6 months... I would have NEVER imagined that 6 months later we would be staring a lung transplant square in the face. I would NEVER have imagined that I would know exactly which room at the Ronald McDonald House has the best shower - (The shower in rm 11 will wash away all your worries.) And I would have NEVER imagined that a host of doctors and nurses would become my new coworkers on a quest towards a happy & healthy Parson Blue. I am so grateful that Dr. Mallory and his crew and Dr. Fidone are so good to me and answer every one of my stinking questions - even when I have a new list everyday.

I was amazed when I logged on to FB tonight and saw that our friends at First United Methodist Church in Jasper are hosting a blood drive next week in honor of Parson. Ahh, Jasper Texas - you never cease to amaze me. I am so grateful for my hometown.

Last night, we received another call for lungs but in the end Parson didn't get the lungs after all. It was the closest we have come yet - (they administered some of the pre-surgery meds and the surgeon was here at the bedside). I have complete confidence and know without a doubt when the time is right, Parson will get her new lungs. Please continue to pray for protection from sickness for Parson as well as "happy" blood levels etc. so that when the time comes, she is ready to "go".

"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you (me, Parson Blue) will be faithful to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus." - Phillipians 1:6

The moral of the story is this... Please eat some McNuggets and support the Ronald McDonald House, donate some blood to save someone's life and hug your pediatrician or healthcare worker next time you get the chance. Tell 'em PDiddy's momma sent ya.





1 comment:

  1. Jennifer I know why Room 11 of the Ronald McDonald house has a great shower...Psalms 91:11 "For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways"

    I know your family and have watched you grow up, and am blessed to see and hear your testimony of faith! But I know there are still moments of confusion and uncertainty and questions. Be strong and of good courage and keep trusting the spiritual realities in the midst of earthly visibilities.

    Over 10 years ago I had a liver resection in Methodist, Houston. Through my fear and pain and numerous conversations with God, he led me to pray Psalms 91 and particularly verse 11. The week of recovery my nurses that week were Peace, Joy, Blessing, Paul, Christine, Mary, and Comfort was my nurse the first night off of the epidural for pain!

    My purpose in sharing this testimony of God's goodness is to encourage you to watch for those precious moments when God blesses us with physical sight for our faith. Until then, keep your eyes on God for He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. (Heb 11:6) Love you and praying for Parson!

    ReplyDelete